16 Oct 2013

29. CONTEXT ABSTRACT

For my contextual report, I'd like to explore the relationship between maker and consumer, designer and user. My early project investigations have involved looking at the way in which 'work' is received and how it is valued by its audience. Key questions revolve around what we appreciate and why; what is it about quality that we appreciate, assuming that we do in fact appreciate it at all? I'd like to inspect how our attitude towards accepting and appreciating 'work' can directly relate to our emotions, whether our enjoyment or fulfilment can be optimised through work (effort) of our own. In turn, what can design do to dictate how the work is first perceived to trigger more attention by the recipient or user? 

The print industry has seen a spike in new publications, albeit smaller in scale and target audience, each succeeding with a significant shift in focus from the digitally-converting mass-market titles. I believe that this focus is driven by greater care, which both serves more goodness for the reader as well as it invites more appreciation too.

This report itself acts as an attempt in encouraging you, the reader, to dedicate time with it and to make effort to experience its qualities – not only for my work as the designer to be fully recognised, but also for you to enjoy it better because of it.

This isn't the easiest thing to write right now, given that the subject area is still undecided, or at least not a stage at which I am optimally comfortable. And also because I thought abstracts tend to be best written at the end of the assignment itself; it's difficult to be specific about what the report will consist of. (I'm also 74 words shy.) But I understand the values that are held in writing something now, because we're at the start of the process, and that it's a good way to set off by actually doing useful work. I just don't want to be tied down to what I say now, that's all.

No comments:

Post a Comment